- All the members of UN are members of General Assembly
- Each member nation is permitted to send 5 representatives out of which only one is entitled to vote.
- Assembly meets once a year.
- Special sessions may be held during emergencies.
- Decisions are taken by a simple majority and in important cases by a two-thirds majority.
- Consider and approve United Nations budget.
- Elect non – permanent members of Security Council of other UN councils and organs.
- Appoint on recommendation of Security Council, Secretary General of UN.
- Supervise the work of the other organs of UN.
- Maintain international peace & security, including disarmament.
- Alert Security Council when world is in danger.
- Receive reports from UN and discuss them.
- Discuss international problems & suggest solutions to the same.
- Consider reports from Security Council and other UN organs.